Friday, February 15, 2019

Figured out my login!

I've been meaning to update my blog for, like, ever.  I couldn't get logged in due to my airheadedness and time constraints.

Anyway, lots happening.  We started a rock band several years ago and that's doing well despite our ages.  I'm no longer the second oldest in the band; we took on an electric violinist along with his wife who is now our keyboardist.  Our lead guitar WAS the oldest (only six months older than me) until the elex violin began.

We play "Classic" rock...like 60's, 70's, and a little 80's.  Beatles, Doobie Bros. etc.

I'm now teaching at Emily Gray Jr. High School - Instrumental Music (Band/Orchestra) - and I also start the band kids off in 5th and 6th grade at the district's two elementary schools.

Because this district (Tanque Verde USD) uses the traditional K - 6 elementary model and the 7 - 8 Junior High model I only see my 6th grade band students twice per week...sometimes only once.  That puts us way behind the other schools in the state who use the 6 - 8 Middle School model.  This means we have lots of catching up to do in 7th grade.  We are able to get pretty much caught up in the 7th grade year due to several factors: First, the students tend to be pretty focused both academically and musically; second, the parents are very supportive and third, the administration in the district is supportive of our endeavors.

Many of my Jr. High students go on to the district's high school but some will go to a private high school or two another academically challenging high school in (shudder) TUSD.

K well...'nuff for now.

No comments: